Thursday, September 30, 2010

Homemade Headbands

I had a college flash back this week. It wasn't about sorority parties, all-nighters or endless cups of coffee while studying for finals. It was about something a guy friend taught me - how to make ribbon flowers. I know, I know, not the typical college guy tutorial.  His mom happened to make beautiful little boxes with these ribbon flowers on them and it occurred to me this week that I could pop them on headbands and have something fancy and free - two words I love to see together.  This is free for me because I had all the supplies, but even to buy them would be very cheap.

Here's what you need to start.

1. Wire Ribbon. Any ribbon works, as long as it is the kind that has wire running through it.


2. Work the wire out of one side of the ribbon. It's probably a good idea to do this on both ends. Start bunching the ribbon toward the middle. You'll see it start to gather. 


3.  After it's gather pretty tight, wrap it around your finger, so it becomes a curly Q. 


4. Here you'll see that I've just mashed the curly Q down - sorry if my terms are too technical :) - and it's taken on the look of a flower. Hot glue the flower onto your headband and add beads, a button or whatever embellishment you chose to finish out the center of the flower. 


5. Get your cutie to proudly model your new creation. I will say that I just made this with things I had laying around. You can see how a little more "styling" could really make it fantastic!  Oh yeah, this probably took me ten minutes. I promise it's eeeeeeeasy.


No comments:

Post a Comment