Friday, November 12, 2010

Gift Tutorial #6: Sugar and Spice

So this isn't that original, but it's good, easy and something I think people really like....spiced pecans. I must warn you before I give you the recipe. I probably ate half of the pan you see below before I packaged any as gifts.  This baby boy likes spiced pecans, that's for sure (along with french fries and potato chips - yikes!).  

Let's start with the recipe:

2 C. pecans (I think). I just bought a pack at Walmart and used the whole thing. 
3 Tb. Brown Sugar
1 Tb. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
pinch of Ground Cloves
1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
3/4 tsp. Salt, plus more for after baking
3/4 tsp. Dried Chili Flakes
1 large Egg White. 
Generous pinches of each of the spices to sprinkle over the top before baking. 

Place rack in center of oven and preheat at 350. Grease a cookie sheet and set aside. Mix together sugar and spices and set aside. Whip egg white until frothy, add nuts and toss. Add spices and mix as thoroughly as possible. Spread nuts on baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle with more seasonings (I just eye-balled it). Bake for 7 minutes, remove from oven and stir.  Bake another 5 minutes and stir again. Bake 3 more minutes. Add salt to taste if needed. 


Here is what they look like while they are baking. They should be nicely browned, but be careful not to overcook. 


I packaged mine in canning jars, but cellophane bags would be cute too. They just need to be stored in an airtight container to stay fresh.


Next I made a label and tied a simple bow. I have to admit, the packaging underwhelms me. But at this point I'd eaten so many that I was desperate to get them all sealed up and ready for someone else.


Beyond giving these as gifts, they'd be great to set out before Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner. They have just the right amount of sugar and spice.  Six down, six to go!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment