Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My new favorite "treat"


With school in full swing, not only have I felt the need to find great lunch options, but also healthy and yummy after school snacks.  Well, my friends, I am excited to introduce you to one of my new all time favorite treats.  I really only call it a treat because my kids think it's candy and I don't blame them because it tastes like candy. Little do they know, it is full of nutrition (I know, I know, I always trick them like this).  

Pictured above are what I call "date balls."  Do not be deceived; they taste more like chocolate than they do  dates. Not only are they good and healthy, but they are super easy (and gluten free at that). 

  • ½ cup medjool dates, pits removed
  • 1 cup walnuts
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt 

  • 1. Place dates, walnuts, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt in a food processor
  • 2. Pulse on high speed until smooth
  • 3. Remove mixture from food processor and roll into little balls
  • 4. Serve
These do not disappoint. While your kids are gobbling them up, they are getting a great dose of potassium, fiber and good ole omega 3s (with a lot of other good stuff in smaller amounts). Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment