With school in full swing, not only have I felt the need to find great lunch options, but also healthy and yummy after school snacks. Well, my friends, I am excited to introduce you to one of my new all time favorite treats. I really only call it a treat because my kids think it's candy and I don't blame them because it tastes like candy. Little do they know, it is full of nutrition (I know, I know, I always trick them like this).
Pictured above are what I call "date balls." Do not be deceived; they taste more like chocolate than they do dates. Not only are they good and healthy, but they are super easy (and gluten free at that).
- ½ cup medjool dates, pits removed
- 1 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1. Place dates, walnuts, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt in a food processor
- 2. Pulse on high speed until smooth
- 3. Remove mixture from food processor and roll into little balls
- 4. Serve
These do not disappoint. While your kids are gobbling them up, they are getting a great dose of potassium, fiber and good ole omega 3s (with a lot of other good stuff in smaller amounts). Enjoy!!!