Thursday, September 8, 2011

A Dog's Life


This is the kind of thing our dog has to deal with around here - my daughter feeding her out of a spoon. The poor dog ate her entire dinner that way. But....don't feel too sorry for her. As you probably know by now, she has quite the life around here. For instance, last week was her birthday. We had a sort of mini-party for her which included homemade dog treats. She loved them and my middle daughter didn't think they were too bad either (gross!). 

Here is the recipe. It's easy and healthy and a lot cheaper than store bought. See, I have the same high standards for my pooch's food that I do my own.  :)

1/2 cup of peanut butter (I used the creamy kind)
1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil (or olive oil)
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup honey
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together peanut butter, honey, oil and chicken broth. In a separate bowl, combine flours and oatmeal. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Place dough on flour dusted surface. Roll or press dough out to about 1/4” inch thick. Use a small bone cookie cutter to cut out cookies. My cookie cutter was a 5-inch bone-shaped , but for small dogs you may want to use a small cookie cutter (around 2″). Roll out leftover scraps and cut out as many as possible. Put cut out cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 14-16 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack. Make your dog's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment